Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rivet gun input needed - The Garage Journal Board

Virtually all aircraft rivet guns are clones of the original Chicago Pneumatic ones (design patents ran out years ago) Many of the brands are so close of a copy that parts interchange. However, the cheaper ones are just that, cheaper, they don't have the power, and they don't have the smooth throttle of the genuine CP. I have a 3x CP and a 2x Cleco (old one made byCleco when it was owned by Reed Roller Bit Co in the '50's, but it was brand new, old stock when I bought it). Cleco is now owned by Cooper and is part of the Apex Group (Danaher/Cooper) and I'm not sure if they still make aircraft rivet guns.

The CP is a smooth gun, and I love the feel, heft and trigger on the Cleco.

I have an off brand 4x at work, and it is weak and the trigger sucks. I use it mostly as a screwknocker to remove screws with.

There is nothing worse than a poor trigger on a rivet gun.

Charles


Last edited by Charles (in GA); 01-25-2012 at 09:27 PM.

0 comments:

Post a Comment